Tuesday, September 6, 2011

First Campaigner Challange

The first Campaigner Challenge is this week and I'm super excited. Here are the rules.

Write a short story/flash fiction story in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, including a poem. Begin the story with the words, “The door swung open” These four words will be included in the word count.

If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional), use the same beginning words and end with the words: "the door swung shut." (also included in the word count)

My story is exactly 200 words and I managed to use "The door swung open" and "The door swung shut."

This story is dedicated to all the students starting school this week. Good luck!
___________________________________________________________________
Good Grub

The door swung open. A meatball whizzed by my head landing with a splat on a locker before sliding to the ground.
The cafeteria was wild with protest. I wanted out, but someone pushed me in and used me as a shield. Spaghetti stuck to my neck.

“Down with school lunch,” they screamed.

I held my brown bag, picked off the wet noodles and ducked trying to make my way to the courtyard.
At the food counter angry lunch ladies waved spatulas and the principle’s bald head was now covered with sauce and overcooked carrots.

Crumbs of a dried brownie rained down into my hair. I clutched my brown lunch bag and made a dash to the door while avoiding the milk cartons and puddles.
I was one step away from food fight freedom when someone pointed and said. “You. Class President. Do something!”

I wanted to get food out of my hair, I wanted quiet; I wanted to forget that I, Jessie K. Burgenstein, was class President.
I climbed and stood on the table. “Principle Taylor I demand we have McDonald's on the menu!”

It went quiet. They cheered. The lunch ladies stormed out and the door swung shut.

32 comments:

Christine Rains said...

Ha! That was fun! For some reason, I'm hungry now.

Denise Covey said...

Helli Kerri. I got the atmosphere here. All out fun! Denise

Jessica Therrien said...

Great visuals. I enjoyed it :)

Alicia Gregoire said...

That was fun. McDonald's for all. LOL

Alynza Smith said...

Ha ha! I liked it :) Great voice.

Deborah Walker said...

That was a great fun story. You've got a strong voice in there. Well done.

Heather said...

That was a rip, roarin' good time. thanks for making me laugh out loud. I just found out my kids school cafeteria now has an all you can eat produce bar and icee machine...I don't think they will be starting a revolution anytime soon! Perhaps more schools should do this? :)

Stephany Simmons said...

Very funny and unexpected. Made me laugh out loud and I'm still smiling!

Alyssa said...

Hahah, this is really cute and funny! Good job!

Cheryl said...

That's cute, I like the twist ending. Good for Jessie :)

Katie Dunn said...

Wow! That was a super fun read=) I was more of a subway fan in high school though;)

lindy said...

This had me laughing! Great job.

Tara said...

Definitely the most fun of the bunch so far. I love it.

The poor thing doesn't even eat the food and she's stuck in the thick of it - literally. Great stuff.

David P. King said...

This was incredibly fun to read, and as lucky would have it, gave me an idea for my budding MG story. Thanks for the inspiration!

Great work, Kerri! :)

bridget said...

I loved the originality of this. I've been reading all of the posts and this stands out. Good job. Mine is #72

Scott Stillwell said...

What a terrific middle grade voice! I could see the scene perfectly in my head. You made me smile :)

Mel Corbett said...

I love that you went a lighter direction than most of the other stories I've read so far. Very funny, great character - who obviously had the wisdom to avoid the hot lunch in the first place.

Awesome :-)

Alleged Author said...

Tee hee! Oh, if only we could have a great hamburger once in a while!

Sherry Isaac said...

Cute story, Keri. Waving 'Hi' from the campaign, and from Romance & Beyond. Hope you'll visit my flash fiction, # 263!

Claire Hennessy said...

I remember lunches like that!! You've been tagged!
http://clairehennessy.blogspot.com/2011/09/tag-youre-it.html

Crystal Collier said...

LOL! Love it. Thanks for a good laugh Keri.

Stephanie said...

I love it, that was so funny. I wish lunches at my school had been that way.

Thanks for the tag :) Now to think of ten random facts about myself.

Alica McKenna Johnson said...

Quick thinking!

Brenda Sills said...

Ha!Ha!Ha! This was a blast to read! Boy, I could really visualize that whole crazy scene. You used such great details, to immerse us in the scene and let us get to know the cast. I love when the class prez demands McDonald's and the lunch ladies storm out. Great stuff!

I'm a fellow campaigner - I'm not in your groups, but I wanted the fun of getting to know more writers. It's so great to meet you! I think it's so awesome that you live on a farm - I've always thought a farm would be a great place to raise my kids, but it never worked out that way. Crumb!

Angela Kulig said...

Cute!

I am in you paranormal group and I accidently missed that group when I followed everyones blog. I am trying to get caught up now.

Rachele Alpine said...

Hey, hey! I'm one of the judges in the Campaign Challenge and I wanted to know that I picked your piece as one of my top favorites! Now it will move on to the next round of judging...congrats! :)

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Love it! Refreshingly different and fun!

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

Hi Kerri! I've mentioned you on my blog and passed on the Versatile Blogger Award. You can find the info here: http://bit.ly/olQktt

Sonia Lal said...

Oh that was fun to read! I'm voting for you. LOL

Tina Moss said...

Hi Kerri! I'm one of the judges for the second round of competition, and you've been chosen as one of the Top 2 to move into the Semi-Finals. This means that you are one of 38 out of a field of 384 entries! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely Loved IT!!!!!!!!!!

Stobby said...

Fun story and well written. I'm 'liking' you ;)

Stobby