Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Vote for a GREAT cause--Kitty Lovers!

I know us writers have a tendency to love our kitties! They inspire our stories (and boss us around to do their will). They keep us company when we are determined to finish a scene late into the night (how dare you interrupt their beauty sleep). You just have to love them!

Last December we had to make the painful decision to put our Cat, Lucky, to sleep due to ongoing medical issues. I want to tell you his story...

Thirteen years ago when I lived in Rhode Island, I noticed my neighbors cat looked skinny and hungry, so I left food out for her. The next month I was pretty darn proud of myself that she looked really fat! More time passed and I didn't see her. One day we were expecting a hurricane. I was worried for her until my sisters dog, Lexus, started barking at the truck tire. I thought she was going crazy. There inside the tire was one small, skinny, grey cat with green goop that sealed both his eyes shut. We never saw mama kitty again, but the rest is history!


                                                                
Fast forward to last week. We had already taken in 2 kittens from a neighbor, but I really wanted an older cat. To me, there is something special about adopting an older cat that needs a home. I feel like, Lucky, would approve. So, we went to our local shelter and found a special friend! We instantly loved Tara and knew she was coming home. The next time we went Miss Theodora aka Teddie pulled on our heartstrings and she to had to come home! They are GREAT cats!


TARA


                                                  THEODORA aka Teddie
  (Teddie's daughter is still at the shelter looking for a home. She looks just like her mom and is super sweet. I REALLY want her to find a special home because she is awesome. If you live in the area, please consider her. I really love her also!)

I want to thank TARPS (The Animal Rescue & Protection Society) in Vermont for taking care of our special friends until they could come to their forever home! Mary, Brandon, and all the volunteers are amazing.

CAN YOU PLEASE VOTE FOR TARPS in VT! YOU CAN CLICK ONCE PER DAY. TEDDY AND TARA THANK YOU!  CLICK HERE

7 comments:

Alicia Gregoire said...

Both of our cats we got from shelters. If I had my way, I'd have at least one more.

julie fedderson said...

I love the shelter cats--you find some of the sweetest, most loving older kitties there. You are wonderful for working with them.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

We have dogs, not cats, because my husband is allergic, but ours are rescues too and they are the absolutely most wonderful! Your cats are beautiful and lucky to have found you :)

Claire Hennessy said...

Ah so great to find another mad cat woman. I had to leave my two cats behind in the UK when I came to America (my best friend has them) and it was a year before I adopted two more from the Humane Soc. I was a Cat Pet Pal for 2 years (just to get my cat fix).
I wanted to let you know I am awarding you the Liebster Blog Award :)
Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Kerri, we weren't looking for a cat when we got Lily. She spent a year at the shelter and no one wanted her. We figure she was waiting for us. Now we can't imagine our home without her. She runs the place so that figures.

Deana said...

Aww I'm in love with these little kitties! So cute and precious. I'm sorry you had to put yours down, that is soooo hard to do.

I went to vote and I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong place but it said the kitties were winners and had VT listed. Do I click somewhere else?

Crystal Collier said...

=( I haven't had a kitty since I started having babies. *sigh* One day when my kids are gone and I'm immensely lonely I will fill my house with beautiful feline friends.