Monday, April 8, 2013

G is for the Gettysburg Battelfield


Welcome to the A-Z challenge, where we'll be blogging our way through the alphabet throughout the month of  April. My theme will be places--it may be a specific place, a state, or a country. It will be whatever I think is spooky, beautiful, or intriguing. I'll be rating each stop on the way with those factors, with 5 being the highest score, and 1 being the lowest score. I hope it will inspire any writers, or travelers out there in Bloggerland. So, thanks for stopping by, and enjoy!

G = Gettysburg Battlefield 

My daughter Isabel, a fifth grader, has joined us on our tour stop today. She'll give us a small history lesson.

The battle of Gettysburg happened in Pennsylvania, and is described as the civil wars turning point, and the largest-bloodiest battle of the war.  Robert E. Lee led the army of confederates, and Ulysses S. Grant led the union.

The battle happened on July 1, 1863 and ended on July 3, 1863 on Culps Hill. As many as 51,000 soldiers were killed, wounded, captured, or even missing! 

Thanks Isabel!

With so many soldier casualties all losing their lives within such a concentrated area, its no wonder some think the Gettysburg Battlefield is haunted. Phantoms of the past are said to be seen drifting over the fields. Screams, moans, and the sounds of gun and cannon fire have been heard. Do the ghosts of the past still haunt this area. You decide, but before you make a decision check out this video by the North East Paranormal Society of Gettysburg, PA.





Spook factor: 3
Intrigue factor: 4
Beauty factor: 3

 Biblio: Wiki, historynet, youtube.

9 comments:

Brett Minor said...

She didn't see any ghosts, but my girlfriend, who has been everywhere, has been there.

Dropping in from A to Z Challenge. It's my first year participating.

Brett Minor
Transformed Nonconformist

Nickie said...

I haven't been that far north, but I think I've been to every Civil War monument in the south-east (my dad was a huge Civil War buff). 51,000 soldiers lost? That's insane, and probably does contribute to the haunted reputation. Very spooky!

Julie Flanders said...

I went to Gettysburg about 10 years ago and left very early in the morning for the drive home. I had a really eerie feeling when driving past the battlefield! Didn't see any ghosts but there was a definite spooky factor.

DayDreamer said...

That video was very spooky. So many men lost in Gettysburg, how sad and no wonder it rises so many stories of that kind.

Lisa said...

How awesome! gettysburg is someplace I've always wanted to go!

Thanks, Isabel for your info!


Maple Grove Cemetery
Random Ramblings
Random Ramblings

Laura S. said...

Hello, Kerri! Gettysburg is a very cool place. I've been there with my family a couple times and also on a class trip in middle school. I didn't have any creepy ghostly encounters though, thank goodness! :)

Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

Unknown said...

That is a creepy video. I have heard of some of the ghost stories of Gettysburg (even from Australia). I just love listening to the ghost stories.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to visit Gettysburg one day. Not sure I'd like to see some ghosts though.

Crystal Collier said...

My hubby was kinda bored with his trip to Gettysburg. Of course, he wasn't looking for anything supernatural. =)