Friday, April 26, 2013

W is for Waverly Hills Sanatorium

Welcome to the A-Z challenge, where we'll be blogging our way through the alphabet throughout the month of April. My theme will be places--it may be a specific place, a state, or a country. It will be whatever I think is spooky, beautiful, or intriguing. I'll be rating each stop on the way with those factors, with 5 being the highest score, and 1 being the lowest score. I hope it will inspire any writers, or travelers out there in Bloggerland. So, thanks for stopping by, and enjoy!

W = Waverly Hills Sanatorium
Located in Louisville, Kentucky the Waverly Hills Sanatorium is dubbed the most spiritually active place on earth, and has been featured on many paranormal shows. The land was originally purchased by Major Thomas H. Hays in 1883. He started a one room school house for his daughter. The teacher named the school, Waverly School for her fondness for the "Waverly novels." The board of Tuberculosis Hospital kept the name after purchasing the land and building the sanatorium. It served as a tuberculosis hospital until 1961. It was renovated in 1962, and reopened as Woodhaven Medical Services as a geriatric facility, and closed by the state in 1980.

Let me know if you see any ghosts because I'll be waiting for you on the tour bus. Yeah, I'm sitting this one out.




Spook Factor: 5
Intrigue Factor: 3
Beauty Factor: 1

 Biblio: click here

4 comments:

Diana said...

Sounds rather icky, and has a bad karma feel to it. Not a cozy sounding place for the geriatric crowd after all that history!

Anonymous said...

I think I've seen a few ghost hunting shows that have been to that place. Very creepy.

Fairview said...

Yeah, I wouldn't go in either!

Unknown said...

I know I wouldn't want to visit. I did love your post and learning something new. Oooooo scary!